PETER'S GOLF BAG

PETER'S GOLF BAG

Saturday 14 May 2022

LET'S TALK ABOUT LAZY BASTARDS

 


On Wednesday mornings, at my golf club there's a tournament named LOBs.

Apocryphally LOBs stands for Lazy Old Bastards but no-one really knows. One of the regulars told me that it stands for Lovely Old Blokes but I think he was just being optimistic.

I rejoined the golf club back in 2018 after I had my stroke as I see it as a way of keeping fit. There are a couple of fairways that are quite steep (one is named Heart Attack Hill) and I always play this one as it forces me to march up pulling my golf trundler behind me.

All good.

But, over the last few years there's been an 'explosion' in the use of battery powered golf carts with the club itself investing in quite a few that are rented out, and sheds have been built for members who own their own golf carts to house them there.

I've got no problem with the use of golf carts by the elderly and the infirm but, to me, it's a bloody joke that fit young people use these all the time on their rounds. It's not exactly a sport then, more like waving a stick about after hooning about in an oversized toy.

The outcome is that the old, leisurely round of golf is becoming something else with idiots racing along on their four wheels, putting pressure on anyone in front of them who carry their clubs or use trundlers. I wouldn't mind if they were considerate but sadly many of them are not and treat the fairways like a race track. 

Now there are some older people using these carts but by far the majority are young 'tradie' types - the ones who drive souped up 4WD utes. These fuel their speed and aggression desires making them a danger on the roads and now they are doing the same on the golf course. I'm getting sick of it and refuse to be hurried along,

It doesn't help when morons like Donald Trump are seen doing it - even driving over the greens.



3 comments:

  1. I understand what you are saying and sympathize. Beginning to sound like they two golf courses. Everytime I see a big black 4WD I look to see if it is a silly young tradie. But I have only seen women and Asians. Though my neighbour appears to be a tradesman and he has two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has two what?
      Women and Asians?
      Maybe he's a Mormon and married two Filipino brides?

      Delete

A NEAR MISS

 I got up very early (for me) this morning and headed out to play 9 holes. I was at the golf course just after 6AM at the start of a beautif...