PETER'S GOLF BAG

PETER'S GOLF BAG

Monday 11 October 2021

FROM A WISE GUY*

.


Oscar Wilde said "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."


OK, that's enough wisdom. Let's get to the important stuff.

I played 9 holes of golf today -the first for a week or more. When I got to the golf course the manager asked if I had phoned in for a reservation since COVID-19 Level Three rules require it. I told him that I hadn't and held up my phone and asked him if he wanted me to ring him. He laughed and said that he'd make an exception and signed me in.


It's a fankle having to book a tee time as I usually like to just turn upon a whim depending on the weather or what I'm doing at the time. I don't like being tied down to schedules. I've always been like this.

Anyway, I played some good shots including an outstanding 3-iron shot as my second to the second green. It landed on the green and rolled to the back. Beauty!

Another wise guy (not a wiseguy) recently wrote this:


Empathy & Reason.

These are two words that we really need to work on understanding at the moment. Over the past few days I've seen quite a few unrelated incidents where at least one of these words was missing.

Let's look at their meanings.

Empathy: (noun) The ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Reason: (noun) Having sound judgement, based on logical thinking.

Yes, yes, anyone can claim to be exhibiting these two qualities. Maybe this is where one must use common sense and honesty.

Okay, you want some examples.

Okay, The restrictions put on us in this pandemic are IN NO WAY similar to what happened in the holocaust. Just as needing to have a licence to drive a motorcar or needing to be registered to practise as a medical doctor are in no way encroaching on your rights or liberties. The idea is to try and make things safer for everyone. This is using that word REASON.

If you are my brother-in-law and you ring just as my wife and I are sitting down to dinner and you are aware of the fact but rave on talk on for about thirty minutes or longer about yourself, you are not showing EMPATHY - though admittedly on a pretty low level.

If you inform people that they are going to a place called Hell because they won't follow your god who made Hell, because they have a sexual orientation that your god supposedly doesn't approve of, or because of some other 'sin' that bothers you, don't spend too much time worrying about your levels of empathy or your ability to reason because you are just a fucking idiot."

- Richard's Bass Bag


 

It's a bit long winded but he is a trumpet player and a schoolteacher so - there you go.

He wrote this as a response to a post that The Curmudgeon wrote referencing the Holocaust and the comment that Robert made to that post. You can find it HERE



How's your day going (not Robert because he doesn't like to be asked that)?































* Not a wiseguy 





5 comments:

  1. Did you use a 9 iron today? How was the cross wind? How many balls did you find? I hear that 3rd hole is a bit tricky. How did you cope with the sand pit?







    I think I sound quite interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, this has been a popular post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your two readers has commented twice! Three times now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's you secret for attracting so many comments? Four now!

    ReplyDelete

A NEAR MISS

 I got up very early (for me) this morning and headed out to play 9 holes. I was at the golf course just after 6AM at the start of a beautif...